For the Wasatch IronPen, artists of the written word face off in a 24-hour writing competition. Adult and Youth writers can participate in one of three genres (Fiction, Non-fiction or Poetry) or can take on the IronPen Ultra challenge and write in all three! Writers of all experience levels can register for the marathon at the SLCC Community Writing Center (located at Library Square) or at www.slcc.edu/cwc.
After receiving the prompt on Friday, June 21st at 5:30 pm, writers will have exactly 24 hours to write. Submissions are due Saturday, June 22nd at 5:30 pm. Visit www.slcc.edu/cwc or call 801-957-2192 for more details.
- Participants must register for the IronPen Marathon or the IronPen Ultra Marathon by Friday, June 21, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. Participants can register online, over the phone at 801-957-2192, or in person at the SLCC Community Writing Center (210 East 400 South, SLC).
- Registration for the IronPen is $10 for one genre (Fiction, Non-fiction, Poetry) or $15 for the IronPen Ultra (all three genres).
- Participants under 18 years old can register for the Youth categories in each genre, or for the Youth IronPen Ultra.
- Participants who register for the IronPen Ultra may not register for individual categories.
- Your registration will gain you entrance to the 2019 Utah Arts Festival to view the IronPen Prompt (prompt will also be available on the Community Writing Center’s Facebook and Instagram) and to submit your writing. All writers who make an IronPen Submission will also receive a ticket for the Awards Ceremony at the Big Mouth Stage.
On Friday, June 21nd, 2019 at 5:30pm, a prompt will be presented at the Community Writing Center and posted on the CWC’s Facebook (@CommunityWritingCenter) and Instagram (@slcc_cwc) feeds. Participants must meaningfully incorporate the prompt into their submission.
You may submit your manuscript either online or in person. Please carefully follow the guidelines for whichever option you choose. Individual genre submissions should not exceed 4000 words. Ultra submissions should not exceed 8000 words. If you participate in the IronPen Ultra, the three pieces do not have to be linked to each other.Each submission must be an original piece of work written within the 24 hours of the competition. Submission is due on Saturday, June 22nd at 5:30 pm
Online submissions are accepted only through Submittable.
- Fill out the submission form below completely.
- Do NOT put your name anywhere on the manuscript.
- All submissions, including Ultra submissions, should be submitted as a single file.
- Submit two typed copies to the Community Writing Center.
- Use paper clips to bind your submission. Please, no staples.
- Do NOT put your name anywhere on the manuscript. Identifying information should be on a cover page that includes the following:
- Full name
- Home address
- Email address
- Phone number
- Title of entire submission
- Genre: Fiction, Non-Fiction, Poetry or Ultra
- Category: Adult or Youth (18 and under)
Judging and Awards Ceremony
Winners in each category will be announced on Sunday, June 23rd at noon at the Utah Arts Festival Big Mouth Stage. Winners are encouraged to read their award‐winning pieces at the award ceremony. After the ceremony, there will be an open mic for all participants to read their work.
Winners will receive a cash prize, a gift card to the King’s English bookstore, and a gift bag of CWC swag. Honorable Mentions will receive a gift card to the King’s English bookstore, and a gift bag of CWC swag
NOTE: The judges will award a “Winner” and “Honorable Mention(s)” in each category, yet reserve the right to adjust awards as necessary. Youth and Adult competitions are judged separately and anonymously. Awards are subject to change based on submissions and judges’ discretion.